“This program supports the state's selected roads, promotes communities and preserves irreplaceable resources.”
WHAT ARE BYWAYS?
An Oklahoma Byway is a unique road designated by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation for its unique and irreplaceable intrinsic qualities. These include roadways of outstanding merit, having significant intrinsic qualities such as being scenic, recreational, archaeological, natural, cultural or historic; having sufficient length to reward traveler, meet criteria for user safety and provide interpretive information for traveler.
WHY IS BECOMING AN OKLAHOMA BYWAY IMPORTANT?
Becoming an Oklahoma Byway offers many benefits for the community involved. The program provides support to communities with improvement projects and economic initiatives:
- Official Recognition and inclusion in a state and national effort Marketing, economic support for the communities along the route.
- Marketing and economic support are available for communities along the byway corridor.
- Creates a community based network.
- Values and protects communities’ special places and roads.
- Serves as a drawing power to bring travelers to a local community.
- Encourages growth.
- Generates new revenue.
HOW YOU CAN BECOME AN OKLAHOMA BYWAY:
Your community can nominate a stretch of road in your area to become an Oklahoma Byway. You can view the nomination process as well as the entire Oklahoma Byways website, HERE.
~Courtesy of the Oklahoma Byways Program, a partnership between the University of Oklahoma Outreach and Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT).
*View scenic byways across the nation at the National Scenic Byways Program website
<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>