Keep Oklahoma Beautiful (KOB) wants to engage 4th & 5th grade elementary students to take action in understanding the importance of recycling in Oklahoma. We are challenging students to tackle this issue by creative a work of art from plastic bottle caps. Photos of submitted art pieces will be posted on a contest website for the public vote to determine contest finalists.
Teachers are encouraged to take this opportunity to implement this art project into their science curriculum, teaching students why recycling is important and how they may reuse items.
In addition to artwork, students are required to submit a 150 - 300 word essay describing what they learned during the project. (One collaborative class essay per entry.) In this essay, students will explain why it is important to recycle, and the harmful effects of littering.
Who can participate?
-All public, private, parochial and home-schools
-Must be full-time 4th and 5th grade students
-Must be a classroom group only
How it works:
- Classes register online between August 20 - September 20
- Keep Oklahoma Beautiful confirms registration and provides an entry number
- Submit photo of art piece and essay by October 5 at 5:00pm
- Submissions will be posted to KOB's Contest website for a public vote during October 17 - 24
- Finalists will be determined by the highest number of votes
- Winner announced at Environmental Excellence Awards Celebration on November 17
- Top three art pieces with most votes will attend the Environmental Excellence Celebration, where the winning classroom will be announced
- Winning class will receive a pizza party with the Directors of Keep Oklahoma Beautiful and the Oklahoma Department of Transportation